Home

Mission Statement  

Believe and achieve!

We believe every student has unique value and potential and deserves to feel a sense of accomplishment. All students can learn essential knowledge and skills necessary to be successful. A safe, orderly, and secure environment is necessary for effective teaching and learning. Academic success is promoted by a variety of teaching and learning styles. The integration of technology throughout the curriculum is essential for student success. Extra-curricular and co-curricular programs enhance the physical, academic, and social development of our students. Appreciating and respecting cultural diversity strengthens the dynamics and traditions of our school. Personal and professional growth is an essential foundation to model and pursue. Quality education depends on a strong, active partnership of students, staff, parents, and community. Service to our school, community, state, and world is a fundamental element of good citizenship.

 

About The School  

Bell Schedule

 

Regular Bell Schedule

Block Time Lunch Time
1st 8:00 - 9:36 A 11:23 - 11:48
2nd 9:41 - 11:23 B 11:53 - 12:18
3rd 11:28 - 1:29 C 12:34 - 12:59
4th 1:34 - 3:10 D 1:04 - 1:29

 

Two Hour Early Release

Block Time Lunch Time
1st 8:00 - 9:06 A 10:23 - 10:43
2nd 9:11 - 10:23 B 10:48 - 11:08
3rd 10:28 - 11:59 C 11:13 - 11:33
4th 12:04 - 1:10 D 11:38 - 11:59

 

Two Hour Delay

Block Time Lunch Time
1st 10:00 - 11:06 A 11:06 - 11:26
3rd 11:11 - 12:53 B 11:31 - 11:51
2nd 12:47 - 1:59 C 11:56 - 12:16
4th 2:04 - 3:10 D 12:21 - 12:42

 

Three Hour Early Release

Block Time Lunch Time
1st 11:00 - 11:50 A 11:50 - 12:10
3rd 11:55 - 1:25 B 12:15 - 12:35
2nd 1:30 - 2:20 C 12:40 - 1:00
4th 2:25 - 3:10 D 1:05 - 1:25

 .


Our History

 

In the year of 1832, Allen Frazier started teaching in what was then known as Brown's Schoolhouse, about three-quarters of a mile from the present Trinity High School building. Frazier taught this school until 1839, calling it Union School because it was supported by the Quakers and the Methodists of the community.

Brantley York took Frazier's place in 1839 and in that year a new schoolhouse was begun where Braxton Craven Elementary now stands. In May 1840, the new building was finished, and the children moved to it in a parade through the woods. The first commencement here was held in July, 1840. On this occasion, Irene Leach was among the graduates. When York resigned in 1843, she was elected assistant to the new principal, Braxton Craven - later becoming Mrs. Craven.a mile from the present Trinity High School building. Frazier taught this school until 1839, calling it Union School because it was supported by the Quakers and the Methodists of the community.

In 1851 a larger brick building, containing living quarters as well as classrooms, was erected, and the school became a normal college. This change was made under the leadership of Dr. Craven, who served as president for eight years.

Brantley York and Braxton Craven

During this administration, the Quakers having decided to their own schools, the property was taken over by the North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The transfer was made in 1859, and Trinity College was established.

During the Civil War years, the "Trinity Guard," a volunteer militia company composed of members of the student body at Trinity College, poses in front of the school.

A few years later, in 1876, a larger addition including a phenomenal auditorium was made to the building. The new building was personally planned and supervised by Dr. Craven himself, who remained the president of Trinity College until his death in 1882.

Following his death, Rev. Marquis Wood and Rev. John Franklin Heitman exercised the duties of president until the electionGUARD of Dr. John F. Crowell in 1887. In September, 1892, Trinity College was moved to Durham where, as Duke University, it has become one of the leading colleges in the nation.

One year before the removal of the college, a high school was established under the direction of W. T. Gannaway - both groups using the same building. Following Professor Gannaway as principals were J. F. Heitman, T. A. Smoot, George B. Pegram, John F. Kirk, R. M. Vestal, A. A. Crater, W. A. Bivens, T. J. Henry, T. J. Covington, D. C. Johnson, and T. E. Storey, the Methodists of the community.

Under the leadership of Mr. Storey in 1924, the Trinity College Building was torn down and the old high school building begun. It was completed, however, in time for commencement to be held in it in 1925. The first principal in the new building was J. T. Weaver, who was succeeded by R. D. Marsh, A. R. Bullock, F. D. McLeod, . H. Abernathy, L. H. Koon, T. H. Smith, C. W. Hawkins, and J. R. Coggins.

THSIt was during the administration of J. R. Coggins that a new structure to house the Trinity High School was conceived and built. Architect Alvis George, the prime designer of the complex of buildings completed in January, 1969, described the campus plan as "an educational town... The central court is designed as a town buildings are added, the 'city streets' will gather the pedestrians and take them back to the 'plaza'."

This campus has grown from a four-building core in 1969 to the current ten-building complex that includes a gymnasium, auditorium, choral and instrumental music building, football stadium, practice football field, soccer field, track, and greenhouses.

Succeeding Mr. Coggins as principal have been D. E. Farlow and, the current principal, Dr. Darrel Saunders. It was with great pride in our heritage that we anticipate continued growth and educational quality from the Trinity High School.

Written by Dan Warren - 1977

(Son of David Warren 1947 and Betty Jones Warren 1948, Grandson of Garland Jones, Sr. 1923 and Verna Savage Jones 1928)

NOTE: Since this article was written, THS has been led by principals Dr. Russ Gobble, who came to Trinity in 1998, Mr. Daryl Barnes who came in 2002, Ms. Denise Lackey in 2008, Mr. Brad Phillips in 2011, Mr. Larry Chappell in 2015, and currently Dr. Brian Toth.

Address